What Is A Smile Makeover?
Today there’s no reason to live with a smile you don’t like to see in the mirror every morning. Dr. Lenny Slepchik can give your smile a makeover. A smile makeover uses the latest techniques in cosmetic dentistry to give you a gorgeous smile.
The goal of a smile makeover is to give you a beautiful smile by creating veneers and/or crowns that have a beautiful NATURAL appearance. We can correct malformed teeth, teeth that are broken, chipped, or cracked. Each patient is different, and presents their own unique challenges.
Glow, contour, translucency and characterization are some of the many tools I use to create your unique smile.When doing smile makeovers, our motto of “Where Dentistry is an Art” clearly comes to the forefront. It is clearly based on sound scientific principles. In today’s dentistry, the thinking is to be as minimally invasive as possible. If teeth are not aligned properly, their position is corrected using the Invisalign system. Even our bonding techniques are part of the end result, as we have the ability to refine the brightness and translucency of the teeth by varying the bonding agent.
What Does a Smile Makeover Address?
A big part of every smile makeover with Dr. Slepchik is finding what you like and what you hate about your smile. There isn’t a set group of procedures; everything we do is based on your unique situation.
These are the areas Dr. Slepchik will address with your smile makeover planning:
- Alignment and spacing — A smile makeover doesn’t address serious alignment issues that would require orthodontic treatment. But we do target problems such as slightly crooked teeth, gaps between teeth, and misshapen teeth. Porcelain veneers can do an amazing job masking these problems.
- Missing teeth — Replacing missing teeth doesn’t qualify as truly “cosmetic,” but this is surely a part of a cosmetic upgrade for your smile. If you’re missing a tooth or two, Dr. Slepchik believes dental implants are far and away the best replacement option. If you are missing a series of teeth, a bridge or even a partial denture, can be used.
- Tooth colour — Every smile makeover at Lenny Slepchik D.D.S includes teeth whitening with our Zoom whitening system. It’s usually our first procedure because whitening returns your teeth to their natural whiteness. From there we can match other pieces of the puzzle, such as porcelain veneers, to your natural, whitened tooth colour. If your teeth are stained beneath the enamel, possibly from a reaction to tetracycline as a child, we can cover the stains on the front with porcelain veneers.
- Balance — A balanced smile is a good-looking smile. If you have an overly gummy smile, it can be the only thing a person talking with you notices. Dr. Slepchik uses a diode laser to recontour your gums to lengthen your teeth (visually). Otherwise, we’ll fix or cover chips and cracks in your teeth with dental bonding, porcelain veneers, or porcelain crowns.
Smile Makeover Candidates
No one has a perfect natural smile. If you are unhappy with your smile, think about what you love about a smile and come talk with him. He wants to hear your thoughts and goals. One requirement is that your basic oral health is good. All smile makeovers require a healthy foundation. They involve various cosmetic changes to your smile. Serious oral health problems such as tooth decay, missing the majority or all of your teeth, and gum disease have to be dealt with before any smile makeover procedure can begin.
Benefits of a Smile Makeover
What’s the value of a dazzling, balanced, beautiful smile? A smile makeover can change how easily you smile and how confident you are when you do. We don’t even realize how much we subconsciously hide issues with our teeth, such as tetracycline staining. A smile makeover will make you more confident and proud of your smile.
Smile Makeover Procedures
Every smile makeover is unique to you, our patient; it is a combination of your goals and Dr. Slepchik’s expertise.
Together, these are the procedures that could be a part of your smile makeover:
- Teeth whitening — Using our Zoom teeth whitening system, we return your teeth to their natural color, removing stains from coffee, tea, red wine, and the passage of time.
- Porcelain veneers — These thin shells of porcelain are applied to the front of the teeth to give your teeth perfect symmetry and a bright white sheen. You’ll be amazed at the ability of veneers to cover issues such as gaps between teeth or deep staining.
- Tooth-coloured fillings — Out with the old silver amalgam fillings, in with tooth-coloured, invisible composite resin fillings.
- Gum contouring — Using a diode soft-tissue laser, Dr. Slepchik removes excess gum tissue, making your teeth appear longer and in proportion. The laser not only removes the unwanted tissue, but it also seals the cut to prevent bleeding and vastly lowers the chances of infection. Recovery is easy.
- Porcelain crowns — If a tooth has a deep crack or maybe has a large filling that needs replacing, the strength of the tooth is compromised. In these cases, we use a porcelain crown to overlay the entire tooth all the way down to the gumline. Crowns return full strength to a tooth and can be used to change the overall shape of the tooth.
- Dental bonding — For small chips or subtle changes in one or more teeth, we may use dental bonding. Bonding uses composite resin that is painted on in thin layers and then cured to cover imperfections or change the shape of a tooth. Bonding isn’t a substitute for a full set of porcelain veneers, but it can address smaller issues with a beautiful end-result.
- Dental implants — Dental implants feature a titanium implant that is screwed down into the jawbone. The jawbone then grows around the implant, fully incorporating it. A post is attached to the implant with a porcelain false tooth atop that. Implants function exactly like a natural tooth.
How Long Is The Smile Makeover Process?
Your smile makeover is dependent on your unique needs. Most of these procedures are immediate and may be combined in a single appointment. Placing porcelain crowns and veneers, however, require a second appointment. This is because once Dr. Slepchik prepares your teeth for the crowns or veneers, a dental lab then fabricates them for us.
If dental implants are a part of your makeover, they take up to six months or so from start to finish. Other than implants, in most cases a smile makeover can usually be accomplished in two appointments. Dr. Slepchik will discuss this with you during your consultation.
Smile Makeover Treatment
- Diagnosis; Examination, Digital X-rays, Cleaning, Taking your Photos and Models.
- Creating your Trial Smile on a model.
- Preparing the Teeth, Taking Digital Impressions and Placement of your Temporary Crowns on your teeth (your Trial Smile)
- After letting you live with your Trial Smile for a period of time, I refine it with your input of what you like, what you may want to change, etc. We collaborate together to get you the result you want.
- Final Placement; I have a special freezing technique that can freeze your teeth without freezing your lips. This allows you, our patient, to properly evaluate what we’ve done.
- Final Adjustment.
Recovery After Smile Makeover
With most of these procedures no recovery is necessary; dental implants and gum contouring are the exceptions. Placing an implant requires time where your gums need to heal and you’ll eat soft foods. Gum contouring will require a short recovery. Otherwise, procedures such as applying veneers or crowns have no recovery after the procedure.
How Long Will My Smile Makeover Last?
Dental implants can last for the remainder of the patient’s life. Gum contouring is permanent. Most of the other procedures have a lifespan. Porcelain veneers can last up to 20 years, while dental bonding usually lasts around a decade. Composite fillings can last 10-20 years.
Teeth whitening? How long your teeth will stay white depends on how much you like coffee, tea, red wine, and blueberries, and how diligent you are at home with your hygiene regimen.